After reading about Wim Hoff – the ice man and discovering that elite athletes such as Ben Greenfield take cold showers I decided that I too would give it a go. Goodbye long beautiful, warm drenched sing in the shower to my favourite music, Hello agonising Screams and my own motivational shouts at myself – I can do this, I am out my comfort zone and it feels amazing. I don’t believe a word of my shouts and screams but there is too many benefits of this cold shower to wimp out on the first day so I continue each morning. I visualise myself as David Goggins (google him) and when the freezing cold hits my hair and sends freezing shivers all over my body I am no longer myself but a warrior braving the elements in order to save myself from the enemies. Yes I do a lot of visualisation, I have little kids..ITS ALL I DO….
benefits of regular cold shower application:
– activation the sympathetic nervous system (Shevchuk, 2008)
– increased blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and increased synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well (Shevchuk, 2008)
– electrical stimulation of peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect (Shevchuk, 2008)
– significant analgesic effect without noticeable side effects or causing dependence (Shevchuk, 2008)
– reduction in muscle soreness after running a marathon (Liang et al, 2001)
– improved quality of sleep (Onen et al, 1994)
– decrease of uric acid level in blood plasma (Brenke et al, 1994)
– inhibition of purine metabolism (Brenke et al, 1994)
– long-term antioxidative adaptation (Brenke et al, 1994)
– improved tone of the skin and muscles (Mergeay et al, 1990)
– reduction in uremic pruritus (a major problem for patients with end-stage renal disease) (Zucker et al, 2003)
– increase in brown fat cells, which protect from aging; fight obesity, diabetes, and heart disease (Kanzleiter et al,2005; Mattson, 2010).
I also heard it was great for your hair so This is what swayed me to give it a go….
Anyway I cant say I enjoy it, but it definitely sets me up for the day and I do have to a
admit I feel more energised and ready to tackle my mountains of housework.